Is She All That?

by Ed Meyer

posted on August 10, 2009 in General Discussion | 6 Comments >>

Going into Sunday, I was really looking forward to watching Zenyatta run. I thought coming in that she may be a short on value. I was right, and after a few more grey hairs, she got up in the shadow of the wire.

I guess complaining is the wrong thing to do. I did catch a $177 P-4. I really thought she would make it a P-3, and I was right, by a short nose at the wire..

As far as the big showdown I wanted to see, forget my last wish. I really thought that Zenyatta was more than Rachel at one time. But to prove that beyond a doubt, you have to travel. You have to go beyond your comfort zone. I still believe she is great for the game, and will be a whole lot of fun to watch. I just don’t think she can beat Rachel anymore. I don’t doubt her wonderful record, or that she has shined in Southern California. I feel that Rachel has reached another level, and found another gear….

As a fan, you must decide for yourself. Is this something that is important, or should we go on with a wish list about things we want to happen? Rachel is just that good. She has traveled, and there are plans for next year, if the wagering gods smile kindly. That brings a ray of hope to my heart, as the Breeders’ Cup will play out at Churchill Downs in 2010.

So, just like the song says, keep em’ separated. In my mind, there is no bonus anymore. I have went back and forth for quite awhile. But, at the end of the day, one outshines the other. It is up t0 you to decide which is which….

6 Responses to “Is She All That?”

1. Dan Moore says:

Rachael by 10 And heres why Calvin will come up the rail smith wont.

2. mikey says:

Everybody can speculate all they want, comfort zone and all but reality is the mare is unbeaten! True she hasn’t raced agains the boys and Rachel has, ture she didn’t ship all over and Rachel has but here’s the kicker, RACHEL IS THE ONE SKIPPING THE BREEDERS! endofstory

3. mikey says:

Years from now, anybody is worth about horseracing will wonder why Rachel skip the breeders. Is it the synthetic or is it really Zenyatta? Sorry there is no other way around it.

4. Horstradamus says:

You are right… They always will second guess the move to miss the B/C… But, I did like that she will be back in 2010. They are already talking about Churchill Downs and the B/C..

Now, that is a long range plan… Rachel did win on poly… That part makes me wonder if Jackson knows more about the surface than we do…..

5. Pro-Ride says:

Horstradamus:

It’s pretty hard to inform an ignorant person about the fractions in this race.

I’m not calling you “stupid”. I’m calling you “ignorant”. There’s a difference.

Zenyatta closed her last 1/4 of a mile in a “scorching” 22:49 with the last sixteenth in 5 an change.

God help Rachel Alexandra if she takes a Tex Sutton flight out to Santa Anita for the Breeders Cup. This filly will not have a chance against this mare on the Pro-Ride. Speed and “tactical” speed is not what you want on this track. It will suck the life right out of you.

Jess Jackson is ducking the Breeders Cup because he learned from Curlin’s mishap (last year). All those speed figures and the best horse in the world faltered at the 1/8th pole, Curlin was absolutely winded. When Curlin, returned to his groom he was exausted (blowing “extremely” hard).

Zenyatta is made for these tracks and this mare will make the filly look like an absolute fool.

The Breeders Cup – “Where Champions Meet”

6. Horstradamus says:

Jackson’s knowledge was just that. Some do take to it, and some do not. I personally saw Turfway Park’s surface go in layer by layer.

Some trainers liked it, and some did not. J.J saw Curlin “spin his wheels.” I was on hand, and I do agree. He was blowing extremely hard.

The Breeders’ Cup is the test…. That is why it moves, and gives the runners different climates and surfaces to challenge.

That aside…. I am glad to hear Rachel will be back in 2010. I wish we could see the throw down, but as I said. I believe J.J has made up his mind. He is being blasted by bloggers and the media. But, after seeing Curlin fail, I guess his mind is made up….

Good luck !