OK, it’s my birthday in a couple of days. We all have silly little wishes, and we hope like kids that they may come true. I have all of the usual wishes as we all do, but the lottery has not come my way. I did not find a million dollars at the ATM, or have a new sports car in the driveway. But, I do have some wishes that I have for my love of racing. I still get butterflies in my gut when I go to the windows, and when they break from the gate.
- I wish I could see Rachel and Zenyatta square off sooner rather than later.
- I would have loved to have been there on-track for: Secretariat, Seabiscuit, War Admiral, Citation, Genuine Risk, and so many others….
- I wish for the game to flourish and not face the possibilty of fading away.
- I wish for the riders to come back safely.
- I wish that synthetic surfaces would all be taken up, and replaced with safer dirt ovals again.
- I wish for more racing coverage, and the old days when there was a “Racing Edition” in the newspaper instead of a few lines.
- I wish that tracks would do away with silly gimmicks, and reward the players better. Who cares about a pen and pencil set? That is what gift shops are for…….
- I would like to see racing rise to the level of excitement of the WPT (World Poker Tour). Would you have ever thought you would be glued to the set watching Texas Hold ‘Em?
- I wish Keeneland ran 30 days in the spring, and in the fall….. I just can’t get enough….
- I wish I would see more people cheering as the horses rumble home… I miss hearing the crowd….
- I wish I could go back and be that little boy running into the track to catch the last three races with my dad …
- I wish for a successful year to score in the big handicapping tournaments. Vegas calls, and there is no feeling like it in the world.
- I wish my grandpa could have seen all of the simulcast action and 12-hour-a-day racing. He would have loved watching English racing, and seeing Australian horses running.
- I wish for new players to get involved, and leave the slot machines alone for a few minutes.
- I wish for another day, month, year, or longer to wager and laugh with my loved ones at the track.
- I wish that a horse would come along and captivate our interest again. We need a hero, and we need it now….
- I hope that you catch the bug. If you are a fan, I hope you remain and bring someone to the races that has never been.
- I wish you the best of luck, and many happy returns……
I used to save my lunch money in high school to go to the races with my dad. He would give me some money to play each Saturday, and I would rather have been there than any party or with my friends. He was the friend I wanted to hang out with. I have so many fond memories of watching races, and making plans to return. I have met many wonderful people in the industry, and many who have made an impact. I have had the pleasure of working for people who knew what the game meant to me. They have allowed me to follow my dreams professionally.
I guess I don’t need to wish after all… I have had a wonderful time, and I look forward to seeing many more exciting finishes in my life. I am thankful, and I am lucky. I still have my family with me, and I have the greatest gift that God could have ever given, a son….. I guess as far as hitting the big one, I already have. But, my first love continues to this very day.
One bet you can make that is a double lock. I will make some stops to make a wager on my birthday. It has always been with me for as long as I can remember, and I hope it always will….