Did You Hear That??

Thoroughbred racing is beauty in motion. The majestic horse carries himself with swagger and confidence and humans only wished it came in a bottle. It’s fair to say you won’t see many things as strong and fragile all in the same stride. To bring to life and capture the essence of a horse race is nothing short of magic. The talented folk that bring the pageantry to life make the sport a one-of-a-kind spectacle.

Track Announcers

If you would like to take an attempt at the toughest job at the track. Head on up, and strap on the headset. I have heard many over the years and they bring a distinct flavor. If you were listening on radio years ago, you could feel the thundering hooves turning for home. If you’re at the track and hear your runner’s name called, it would give you goose bumps as they made their way into the homestretch. Nothing adds more action than hearing your favorite announcer call them home. As in every sport, we have our personal favorites that made our blood pressure jump a few notches. Here are a few that made the hair stand up on my neck:

Chic Anderson - Is there any better race call than the 1973 Belmont Stakes?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

Fred Capossela – He began calling races in 1934, and was the voice of the Triple Crown from 1950- 1960. He is best known for his 1962 Travers Stakes with Jaipur and Ridan.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rKCAhELwhc

Dave Johnson – When you heard, ” And down the stretch they come,” only one voice could bring it to life.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3o65WOHhUQ

Marshall Cassidy – “They’re all in line” always caught my attention. I love New York racing, and this one still stands out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLx-ljX89lc

Phil Georgeff - As you heard “Here they come spinning out of the turn,” the chills would run  down your arm.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzPAMVZ5m-w

Trevor Denman - “The field is sent on their way” could stop a train when these words are echoed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEWi0iwAL_M

Mike Battaglia – If you heard “Gaining ground, or very well bunched.” You could have been at one of three Kentucky tracks Mike called. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NChEC2FaiOk

Larry Collmus – He wears the mic when a big race is on tap. His distinct clear voice makes the race come into full view. He has called many great races, but here is one that will have you in stitches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3GKiRp333w

Kevin Goemmer – K.G. called races in Ohio, Kentucky, and Chicago. His voice could bring chills to the hardcore horse player. I watched him call a race, and in mid-turn he turned off the mic and looked over at me and said: ” Hey, take a look at the horse in 7th along the rail. He is going to roll.” He flipped the switch back on and his words came true.

Luke Kruytbosch – This man may have been one of the best to ever call races. His gravely voice, and descriptive narrative could paint the race in full color. He helped many callers get in the fraternity, and left the game way too soon. There isn’t any conversation among race callers where his name is not mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBDPSqePlU

Here are some of the “young guns” that will be bringing us the action for years to come:

Pete Aiellohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLsx2r7YHw

Jason Beemhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpQO06beif0

Bill Downeshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZvH9wdbRkQ

Travis Stonehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWe3XZs4fE&list=PLC1C22F88E6377E7E

There are so many names, and only so much time. Many callers take me back to a time when I was young and the game was new. Some allowed me to get a closer look at the action, and the new announcers have some big shoes to fill, and they’re doing a great job. What do you think? Any favorites come to mind?? If not, keep an open ear and pay close attention as they ply their trade on a daily basis. If you’ve ever thought it was easy, just stop up and pay them a visit. I bet you’ll find it a whole lot easier listening in the grandstand.

6 Responses to “Did You Hear That??”

1. Matthew C. says:

I started announcing ever since I was 11 years old. Ever since then, I was doing my own announcing on the races from Hollywood Park, Bay Meadows, Golden Gate Fields, the Breeders’ Cup World Championships from 2003 at Oak Tree, 2004 at Lone Star Park and 2005 at Belmont Park, also the Triple Crown Series, and the Florida Sunshine Millions from Gulfstream and other racetracks in North America and other parts of the world. Trevor Denman is my favorite horse racing announcer of all time because of his colorful description in all of the races from Santa Anita, Del Mar, Barretts At Fairplex, or even the Breeders’ Cup World Championships. This year, Trevor called all of the Breeders’ Cup races for the on-track Breeders’ Cup simulcast network, Horse Racing Radio Network, and for the fans at the Santa Anita Racetrack while Larry Collmus only called all of these races only on NBC Sports Network and NBC. After graduating from a university, I want to work as a professional horse racing announcer. Also, I want to work as an announcer of the Santa Anita Racetrack after Trevor retires, also the Triple Crown and the Breeders’ Cup on NBC Sports after Trevor retires. Right now, I am still practice announcing horse races today, and I am thinking about getting an announcing job at the new Los Alamitos July Thoroughbred Meet in 2014. If Los Alamitos want to hire somebody that is more experience than me, it would be Vic Stauffer or any other announcers. Vic or any other announcers can call the thoroughbred races in the afternoon while Ed Burgart is calling the Quarter Horse races at night.

2. John Valentine says:

How do you leave Harry Hensen off this list. East coast bias maybe?

3. Domino says:

Matthew C has been making threats against other announcers under the ID mchorseracecall
    google him “Trevor Denman is my favorite horse racing announcer of all time.” will find him, also: mchorseracecall announcer’s booth trevor should get it. He needs a rubber room or jail

4. Matthew C. says:

Hey Domino, here’s a song called F**K the Police by NWA, here it goes: Fuck the police coming straight from the underground
    A young nigga got it bad cause I’m brown
    And not the other color so police think
    they have the authority to kill a minority
    Fuck that shit, cause I ain’t the one
    for a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun
    to be beating on, and thrown in jail
    We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
    Fucking with me cause I’m a teenager
    with a little bit of gold and a pager
    Searching my car, looking for the product
    Thinking every nigga is selling narcotics
    You’d rather see, me in the pen
    than me and Lorenzo rolling in a Benz-o
    Beat a police out of shape
    and when I’m finished, bring the yellow tape
    To tape off the scene of the slaughter
    Still getting swoll off bread and water
    I don’t know if they fags or what
    Search a nigga down, and grabbing his nuts
    And on the other hand, without a gun they can’t get none
    But don’t let it be a black and a white one
    Cause they’ll slam ya down to the street top
    Black police showing out for the white cop
    Ice Cube will swarm
    on ANY motherfucker in a blue uniform
    Just cause I’m from, the CPT
    Punk police are afraid of me!
    HUH, a young nigga on the warpath
    And when I’m finished, it’s gonna be a bloodbath
    of cops, dying in L.A.
    Yo Dre, I got something to say

[cut and scratched 4x] “Fuck the police”

Example of scene one

[Cop] Pull your god damn ass over right now
    [NWA] Aww shit, now what the fuck you pulling me over for?
    [Cop] Cause I feel like it!
    Just sit your ass on the curb and shut the fuck up
    [NWA] Man, fuck this shit
    [Cop] Aight smartass, I’m taking your black ass to jail!

[Dr. Dre]
    MC Ren, will you please give your testimony
    to the jury about this fucked up incident?

[MC Ren]
    Fuck the police and Ren said it with authority
    because the niggas on the street is a majority
    A gang, is with whoever I’m stepping
    and the motherfucking weapon is kept in
    a stash box, for the so-called law
    Wishing Ren was a nigga that they never saw
    Lights start flashing behind me
    But they’re scared of a nigga so they mace me to blind me
    But that shit don’t work, I just laugh
    because it gives em a hint, not to step in my path
    For police, I’m saying, “Fuck you punk!”
    Reading my rights and shit, it’s all junk
    Pulling out a silly club, so you stand
    with a fake-assed badge and a gun in your hand
    But take off the gun so you can see what’s up
    And we’ll go at it punk, and I’ma fuck you up!
    Make you think I’ma kick your ass
    but drop your gat, and Ren’s gonna blast
    I’m sneaky as fuck when it comes to crime
    But I’ma smoke ‘em now and not next time
    Smoke any motherfucker that sweats me
    or any asshole, that threatens me
    I’m a sniper with a hell of a scope
    Taking out a cop or two, they can’t cope with me
    The motherfucking villain that’s mad
    With potential, to get bad as fuck
    So I’ma turn it around
    Put in my clip, yo, and this is the sound
    [BOOM, BOOM] Yeah, something like that
    but it all depends on the size of the gat
    Taking out a police, would make my day
    But a nigga like Ren don’t give a fuck to say

[cut and scratched 4x] “Fuck the police”

[Cop] [knocking on the door]
    [NWA] Yeah man, what you need?
    [Cop] Police, open now
    [NWA] Aww shit
    [Cop] We have a warrant for Eazy-E’s arrest
    [Cop] Get down and put your hands up where I can see ‘em
    (Move motherfucker, move now!)
    [NWA] What the fuck did I do, man what did I do?
    [Cop] Just shut the fuck up
    and get your motherfucking ass on the floor
    (You heard the man, shut the fuck up!)
    [NWA] But I didn’t do shit
    [Cop] Man just shut the fuck up!

[Dr. Dre]
    Eazy-E, won’t you step up to the stand
    and tell the jury how you feel about this bullshit?

[Eazy-E]
    I’m tired of the motherfucking jacking
    Sweating my gang, while I’m chilling in the shack, and
    shining the light in my face, and for what?
    Maybe it’s because I kick so much butt
    I kick ass – or maybe cause I blast
    on a stupid-assed nigga when I’m playing with the trigger
    of any Uzi or an AK
    Cause the police always got something stupid to say
    They put out my picture with silence
    Cause my identity by itself causes violence
    The E with the criminal behavior
    Yeah, I’m a gangsta, but still I got flavor
    Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?
    A sucker in a uniform waiting to get shot
    by me, or another nigga
    And with a gat it don’t matter if he’s smaller or bigger
    ([MC Ren:] Size ain’t shit, he’s from the old school fool)
    And as you all know, E’s here to rule
    Whenever I’m rolling, keep looking in the mirror
    And ears on cue, yo, so I can hear a
    dumb motherfucker with a gun
    And if I’m rolling off the 8, he’ll be the one
    that I take out, and then get away
    While I’m driving off laughing this is what I’ll say

[cut and scratched 4x] “Fuck the police”

The verdict

[Dre] The jury has found you guilty of being a redneck,
    white bread, chickenshit motherfucker
    [Cop] But wait, that’s a lie! That’s a god damn lie!
    [Dre] Get him out of here!
    [Cop] I want justice!
    [Dre] Get him the fuck out my face!
    [Cop] I want justice!
    [Dre] Out, RIGHT NOW!
    [Cop] FUCK YOU, YOU BLACK MOTHER-FUCKERS!

Fuck the police! [3x]

5. Matthew C. says:

Hey administrator, please delete the last comment that I post, thanks.

6. Matthew says:

Hey Domino, F**K The Police, F**k all the police, I hate the police.