How many times have you wanted to join the group at the big table in the “Jockeys Room?” If you have ever been to a track more than just a casual bettor, you’ve seen the players. They carry themselves a little different than John Q. Racetrack. For years I watched, and for many more I became the person who made things happen for big rollers. I kept a pretty close tab on their habits, and what made them different than the other 98% of the patrons. Now, for a limited time only I’m going to give you the inner-sanctum secrets of the big whales. Sit back, put your feet up, and light up your Cuban cigar. It’s time for you to take your seat at the big table.
If you’re looking for the magic mojo or secret sauce; there is none. People come and go, and the adage of “what will make you so shall break you” holds more water than you think. Gambling to me was better than any alcoholic elixir. Where in the world could you be around something so intoxicating, and still have the bearings to walk the line? For the majority of the public who walk through the doors enjoy bringing a few bucks and having a beer or two. Then you’ll find the middle players who want action, and can always be found fist bumping and making excuses. The rare beast better known as the “Whale, Big Daddy, Big Roller, and Easy Money” don’t mingle with the rank and file. They enjoy the private room, free tickets to the marquee races, and having the track big-wigs know who they are. For the most part, they are just like you and me in every sense of the word. Most aren’t the best handicappers, and there are many that bet what others tell them. I bet right about now you’re thinking you should have that top dog seat? The major difference is having money to bet without blinking an eye. The money is the difference, and the only difference. They have no secret system and mainly buy their way. Oh, they may receive cushy seats and free tickets, but they pay for them dearly. Just not in the same lines that you and I purchase our seats.
I have friends that asked me how “so and so” has the big paydays? How do they nail the big winners, while we just watch from afar? Easy. It’s just money, and plenty of it. Now, there are some big players who really know the game. Some do their own speed figures and keep detailed accounts of everything. If you watch long enough, their methods appear as if they are working at a job. Make no mistake, they are at work. While many wonder how they pulled off the big hit, here are some important tips on what makes the good player different from the wanna be.
1. Discipline. – If you bet for the sake of action, stop now if you want to take your game to the next level.
2. Focus – Leave your problems in the car. If you’re distracted with family problems, work, or other people. You’re better off waiting for another day.
3. Detailed records – If you show me anyone who doesn’t keep any records, I’ll show you a loser.
4. Bankroll – You can’t play with borrowed money, and getting a marker doesn’t count. Build yours now.
5. To thy own self be true – If you feel you may be lacking the needed info to be the best. Buy it, and buy it now. You just happen to be on one of the best sites I have ever seen. Now, that doesn’t make me the smartest guy in the world. It puts me ahead of where I used to play. In every business, some of the most profitable empires purchase information to gain an edge. I have worked as a track handicapper, radio host, on-air TV host, and morning line odds-maker. Nope, I’m not the best in the world. I just have a love and passion for the game. I may lose today, but I look forward to the next race card. Know yourself, and look at your betting tools. The best craftsmen use the best tools to get the job done right.
6. Become a number cruncher – If you didn’t do well with math, you need to hone your skills or find someone who can help. I have never seen a profitable gambler who wasn’t proficient with the numbers.
7. Expect the ups and downs – In any wagering, you can expect a bad run. The players who seem to work their way out of the tail spin have focus to stay on course. Just about the time you abandon the system you employ, you’ll see your old efforts would have gotten you back on track. Good players don’t go out and buy a new boat with a big win. They know it can change on a dime, and you need to reserve capital to weather the storm.
8. Expect to put in plenty of time – If you’re not watching replays, looking over charts, identifying a track bias, or examining if your wagers worked in your in best interest. – You may not be cut out for the next level.
There have been many days I’ve questioned myself about putting in the time or effort. When I had my bankroll in place, would I hesitate to pull the trigger and question my work? Would I allow others to influence me? If a bad streak takes me down, would I panic? What about you? Do you have what it takes to take your game to the next level? It isn’t for the weak, and it won’t come easy. That is something you can always count on. If you’re ready, Winning Ponies can always be counted on to bring you the best to be your best. Every successful player depends on information, and it all starts here. Winning Ponies would like to wish you and yours a safe and Happy New Year!